Barnet beaten by Stockport at home


Alex Reid’s double steered Stockport to a 2-1 win at 10-man Barnet in the National League on Tuesday night, leaving them 20th in the table.

The Bees’ Inih Effiong was twice denied by fantastic Ben Hinchcliffe saves and also struck a post before Stockport took the lead two minutes before the break.

Reid lobbed the ball over Barnet keeper Scott Loach after running on to Richie Bennett’s flick-on to grab his fourth goal in five games.

Barnet levelled three minutes into the second half when Ephron Mason-Clark converted a corner at the back post.

Bennett struck a shot against the post before Barnet were reduced to 10 men in the 56th minute, Anthony Wordsworth receiving a straight red for a poor challenge on Sam Minihan.

Reid then claimed his second 17 minutes from time, pouncing from close range, to leave Barnet winless in eight league games.

It was the second game in which supporters were permitted to attend the Hive, after their goalless draw with Wealdstone on Saturday, but just one point from those two matches gives those fans very little to shout about.

It took a superb save from Loach to deny Dean Parrett in just the fifth minute to prevent Barnet going behind early on.

And at the other end Effiong headed narrowly over before Mason-Clark flashed another effort just over the bar.

Mason-Clark fired just wide on the hour mark as Barnet pushed again and Loach had to be aware to make another save save to deny Jorome Slew.

Wealdstone goalkeeper Stuart Moore then had to make a brilliant point-blank save from Effiong at the far post from a corner with five minutes remaining.

After the defeat to Stockport, manager Peter Beadle said: “We’ve had three very very good chances in the first half, Inih’s had three.

“We stayed in the game and that’s what we’re always trying to do. Second half we came out, started on the front foot and got a thoroughly deserved equaliser and then it’s taken out of our hands…

Source : times

Comments are closed.