Rangers takeaways from Saturday’s OT win over Islanders, including Filip Chytil’s hat trick
The Rangers defeated the Islanders 5-4 in overtime on Saturday night in Bridgeport, Conn.
Here are some key takeaways …
– Anders Lee got things going for the Islanders in the opening minutes. After Alexis Lafreniere turned it over at the Rangers’ own blue line, Lee lit the lamp with a slap shot past Alexandar Georgiev. The puck may have deflected off Jacob Trouba’s stick, but either way, the goal put the Isles up 1-0 early.
– Later in the first, the Rangers showed off some nifty passing on the power play to tie the game. After a Trouba shot was blocked away into the corner, Ryan Strome and Dryden Hunt worked a nice give-and-go back to Strome who then ripped a pass all the way across to Vitali Kravtsov for a vicious one-timer to tie the game at 1-1 heading into the second.
– The Rangers got to work early in the second period. After a great play by Kaapo Kakko to carry the puck deep into the Isles’ zone, he found K’Andre Miller for a snap shot from the point, and Strome was there to put in the rebound, beating Ilya Sorokin to make it a 2-1 Rangers’ lead.
The Blueshirts were the aggressors for most of the second period, though the Isles got some late chances on Georgiev, who stopped everything that came his way through the first two periods.
– In the final seconds of the second, Strome collided with Scott Mayfield, and he was in noticeable pain on the bench before he and the rest of the team went into the locker room. It was announced at the start of the third that Strome would not return with an upper body injury. He had two points before leaving the game.
– The Islanders picked up some momentum to start the third, killing a Rangers power play before tying the game. Noah Dobson took a quick shot from the point, and Mathew Barzal deflected the puck past Georgiev to knot things up.
– The Rangers answered right back, scoring on their first shot off the period. Hunt and Filip Chytil worked a nice two-man game from end to…
Source : yahoo