Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil’s Neymar has revealed that he expects the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar to be his last. Speaking with DAZN in the documentary Neymar Jr. and the Line of Kings, the 29-year-old confessed that he expects next year’s event to be his last one in the tournament with the Selecao Brasileira at the age of 30.
“Man, I think it will be my last World Cup,” said the $257 million man. “I am facing it like the last World Cup because I do not know whether I will be able, mentally, to endure more soccer. I will do everything possible to get there very well.”
Neymar, who is in action this Sunday against Colombia in Brazil’s latest World Cup qualifier, also admitted feeling frustrated at a perceived lack of recognition for what he has done with his country on the international stage.
“I will do all I can to win it with my country and realize my dream,” he said. “The biggest since my boyhood and I hope I can achieve it. I do not know what else I need to do with this shirt for people to respect Neymar.”
While things are going smoothly with Brazil thanks to nine wins from nine World Cup qualifiers so far, Neymar is enduring a tough start to the season with PSG after extending his contract in the French capital earlier this year.
Despite the arrival of former Barcelona teammate Lionel Messi which the Brazilian was vocal in his desire to see come to fruition last campaign, Neymar is without a goal from open play with PSG since May 1 and has only scored once across all competitions this term — a dubious penalty against Lyon.
The Santos youth academy graduate has endured criticism about his weight both with club and country as he closes on Pele’s record of 77 official Brazil goals with his current count at 69 after overtaking Romario as his country’s leading qualification scorer.
Neymar was also part of the Brazilian squad beaten by Argentina for the Copa America title on home…
Source : cbssports